Friday 9 August 2013

Green smoothie

A revolution is upon us! A green smoothie revolution!
If you haven't already caught on to the green smoothie craze, you best read on.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like a good smoothie. Fast to make, easy to eat (One handed eating essential for me at the moment as I breastfeed my 2nd child on demand) and so simple to pack in all the goodness you need for a perfect balanced meal.

I always made smoothies, mostly protein smoothies for breakfast, but it was only just recently that I was swayed into adding some big leafy greens to my smoothie for a nutrition hit. It took a while to get my head around adding spinach or kale into my recipe, and since I nearly always used frozen blueberries they always ended up looking like I was drinking brown sludge....
But... you can't taste the spinach... so close your eyes and forget it's there- just enjoy the health benefits that come with adding these super greens to you meal.
Spinach has so many goodies packed into it- it's extremely rich in antioxidants, a rich source of Vit A, Vit C, Vit E, Vit K, magnesium, manganese, folate, betaine, iron, Vit B2, calcium, potassium, Vit B6, folic acid, copper, high protein, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids. And breathe, that was a long list.
It has double the fibre of other greens, it's high in beta-carotene which supports heart health, fights cancer and keeps your eyes healthy

My daughter loves her green smoothie, and if I can get all that goodness into her in one meal I'm pretty happy!

So, what else do I pack into my smoothie on a daily basis?
Well, I start with the base recipe-
Almond milk (or whatever fluid you like- water, milk, soy- add as much or as little- eat-it-with-a-spoon consistency or drink it)
1 tblsp chia
1 tblspn flax meal
1 scoop of protein powder (I use unflavoured, but you could use vanilla, banana etc)
1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
2 cups of spinach (fresh or frozen)

Add in any fruit you like
This recipe I have banana and frozen mango (thanks Coles for stocking it now!)
other favourites are frozen blueberries, raspberries, fresh kiwi, pear- anything your heart desires.
Top with some goji berries, pepitas, walnuts and bees pollen for a bit of crunch factor ;)


No comments :

Post a Comment